Stories of life on our farm in Northwest Georgia where every day is an adventure in this beautiful spot that God has entrusted to our stewardship.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Jemima Shows Off

The other morning I let the ducks out. Jemima (in front) came down from her perch on the back of the barn roof and joined the boys, but only briefly.
 Within a few seconds she was perched on a fencepost looking down at them as if to say, "Ha, ha, ha!  You can't catch me!"
She flew over to her favorite gatepost, and with one of the drakes watching her intently from the ground, began to preen herself.  First, she folded her head straight back along her back . . .
. . . then fluffed her feathers on one side . . .
. . . and the other.
Then she folded her head straight down to her breast . . .
. . . and looked to see if she still had an audience.
She did!
She repeated a few of her preening moves and then began to eat flying bugs--but you can tell she was really saying, "I'm so gorgeous!  I know you can't take your eyes off of me!"

I think we should change Jemima's name to Bathsheba (who bathed on the roof of her house with King David watching her).

Show off!

1 comment:

I LOVE comments so please take a minute and let me know you were here! Sorry I have to use Captcha, but I hope you'll comment anyway! Comments make my day! :)