Stories of life on our farm in Northwest Georgia where every day is an adventure in this beautiful spot that God has entrusted to our stewardship.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Zephyr's Hairy Adventure

After dinner we always let the dogs out to run around for awhile, and tonight Hero came back and laid down on the back porch.  Zephyr didn't come, nor did she join me when I went out to shut the chickens up after dark, nor did she come when I started calling repeatedly.  So Herb and I got flashlights and went outside, calling and calling for her.  We spent half an hour going all over the farm, looking for her eyes shining in the flashlights and listening for her bark--nothing.  We were thinking of lots of explanations--none of them good!  When we were just about to give up for the night, going to check in the hay barn even though we knew it hadn't been opened all night, I suddenly heard one sharp little bark in the woods.  Sure enough, there she was: completely tangled in long, strong thorns--just standing there waiting for us.  She had to wait till Herb got clippers to cut the branches, then he carried her in and held her while I cut her fur away.

Bless her little heart, she was so grateful she kept licking my hand.  My poor baby!  Tomorrow is hardly soon enough to cut that beautiful coat off!  Thank you, Lord, that it wasn't snakes or coyotes or drowning or dog-napping!  Just a hairy adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! What a silly, silly doggy! So glad you all found her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least when she got caught in the barbed wire, she barked quite a few times--but she didn't give me enough to go on in the dark! At one point Dad told me he was afraid the coyotes had gotten her, and I thought I would die imagining that!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments so please take a minute and let me know you were here! Sorry I have to use Captcha, but I hope you'll comment anyway! Comments make my day! :)