Stories of life on our farm in Northwest Georgia where every day is an adventure in this beautiful spot that God has entrusted to our stewardship.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

She's Back, Too!

Sara, our newest Zephyr Hill Farm resident, is back from Bickett Genetics where she has been since January being bred by AI.  The bull is Red Wing from K-Heart Dexters in Colorado, and here is a link: http://kheartdexters.homestead.com/HERDBOOK.html  He is such a nice bull that we're hoping for a heifer so we can keep her for breeding & milking.

Sara gained weight while she was there, going up from 675 lbs. to 775 lbs.  She looks really great, but she's kind of forgotten us and gotten out of the habit of being handled.  After a nice pan of feed, though, she deigned to sniff my hand and finally let me scratch under her chin.
I wish I could say that she's as happy to be back as we are to have her, but it would be a lie!  She kept looking off into the distance and giving loud, long moos!  (In case you're wondering, the drips from her mouth are because she just finished drinking.)  She may be compact in size, but she has a Hummer-sized moo!  It's nice to have her back, and hopefully she'll feel that way soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the welcome home spring break rodeo Sara!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments so please take a minute and let me know you were here! Sorry I have to use Captcha, but I hope you'll comment anyway! Comments make my day! :)