Stories of life on our farm in Northwest Georgia where every day is an adventure in this beautiful spot that God has entrusted to our stewardship.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

What We Did Today

Hours and hours of driving (we got lost and then had to drive through Huntsville, AL--about  100 miles of traffic lights every 5 feet!) since we left Leahaven at 11:30 p.m. and didn't arrive at our destination till almost 4 p.m.  Gary VERY kindly waited almost 2 hours beyond our appointment time, out in the freezing cold, so we actually got to meet our very first miniature cattle!  His are Dexters, which are a naturally small breed, half the size of a regular cow, and also a dual-purpose breed which is good for both meat and milk.  Sorry we didn't take any pictures, but check out the links at left.  We also got to meet Gary's miniature horses, geese, ducks, chickens, Border Collie and--pasture pigs!  I LOVE the pigs!  They came running up to us, grunting & making classic piggy noises and actually let us touch their noses.  (They're slimy, in case you wondered.)  I couldn't help but think how much Charis would love them!  She really laughs when I do the pig noise while reading her farm books.  (After today, I must say, I'm pretty realisitic!)  Herb says, "No pigs!"  Never fear, while I have always loved the idea of feeding your wasted food to your future bacon, we really were there looking at cows.  The Dexters are very sweet, small & manageable.  This was just our first fact-finding mission, so stay tuned during Christmas vacation . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments so please take a minute and let me know you were here! Sorry I have to use Captcha, but I hope you'll comment anyway! Comments make my day! :)