Stories of life on our farm in Northwest Georgia where every day is an adventure in this beautiful spot that God has entrusted to our stewardship.

Friday, April 3, 2015

Herb's Surprise Birthday Present

The morning of Herb's birthday, March 24, I went out to feed the cows, but came rushing back to the house to tell him to hurry up and come outside!

There in the middle of the Back Pasture a drama was being enacted.  Earlier we had noticed a huge tom turkey displaying his tail and turning in a graceful dance.  Suddenly he had company . . .

. . .  in the form of another tom and his harem of eight.  The new tom raced up the hill towards the first tom, outflanked by a couple of his ladies.   They moved so fast they seemed to flow from where we stood.  The first tom turned tail to look for some ladies without such a fierce champion.  (You can just see him under the wire at the foot of the dead tree.)

Those turkeys moved much faster than I can write this.  By this time I took this photo, less than two minutes after the first one, the vanquished tom had almost disappeared into the woods.  (He's right above that dark green splotch under a partially dead tree.)  The interloper had gained the crest of the hill where he stopped to perform a victory dance for his admiring ladies.

Herb and I watched in awe as this quick vignette of country life unfolded before our eyes.  Thank you, Turkeys, for such a special birthday gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments so please take a minute and let me know you were here! Sorry I have to use Captcha, but I hope you'll comment anyway! Comments make my day! :)