Stories of life on our farm in Northwest Georgia where every day is an adventure in this beautiful spot that God has entrusted to our stewardship.

Monday, February 7, 2011

A Good Egg!

I was sick in bed this morning (having been sick since Friday night) when Herb called to me that Hero was laying under the tree in the front yard with the chickens all around him.  Of course, I had to get up, put a telephoto lens on the camera, and go to the door to take a picture.  Of course, Hero had to get up and come as soon as he saw me at the door.  Even though I wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch the shot, I did get a glimpse of Hero, the Good Egg, keeping the chickens company.
Hero was gone, but Wren was still on the job watching over his girls.  Sometimes when I throw out a tasty treat to them, he finds it first and calls them with a special excited cluck that he has, as if to say, "Come and get it, girls!"  What a Good Egg!
Herb has been feeding the animals and bringing home the eggs (if not the bacon) since I've been sick.  What a Good Egg!  He's been getting as many as five eggs a day as the "little" chickens lay more and more.  Today was really exciting, and once again I had to get up out of bed and grab the camera.  We got our first blue egg from a "little" chicken!  We've gotten two shades of brown, a green, and that odd olive shade on the right--but now we have another girl laying blue eggs!  There it is in the middle, even brighter blue than Victoria's behind it.  I don't know who laid it, but whoever she is, she's a Good Egg!

2 comments:

I LOVE comments so please take a minute and let me know you were here! Sorry I have to use Captcha, but I hope you'll comment anyway! Comments make my day! :)