Stories of life on our farm in Northwest Georgia where every day is an adventure in this beautiful spot that God has entrusted to our stewardship.

Monday, August 2, 2010

The Chicks Are Coming!

Today I ordered the chicks.  We're getting 25 straight run  (mixed male and female) Turkens (or Naked Necks or Poulets Rouge) and 6 Ameraucana pullets (all female).  They'll be shipped on Aug. 11 and could arrive at the Post Office any time after the 13th, of all the funny ways to ship them!  So it's time to get going on their accommodations.

First, the site had to be excavated.  Herb shoveled the shavings over to the other side of the shed with  Zephyr's "help."  Here she is playing one of her favorite games, racing back and forth along the shelves, barking wildly of course, while Herb tosses shavings.
Next came the framing.  I told Herb that when he was framing luxury homes in Dallas back in 1977, he had no idea he'd one day put his skills to work building housing for chickens! 
You've heard of barn-raisings?  Well, this is a brooder-raising!  Here Herb is raising the framework of the front wall into place.  I helped pound in a few nails, but Herb could drive about 6 nails to one of mine, so my main job was standing on the studs he was nailing in so they wouldn't bounce around.
I think we got a lot done in one day.  To quote Leopold in Kate and Leopold, "That's quite an erection!"  :)  I'm delighted with it, proud of Herb for building it, and excited about the chicks coming.  Stay tuned for the next installment . . .

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, your title makes me think of that old film, birds...the birds are coming! Now I'm going to have nightmares!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments so please take a minute and let me know you were here! Sorry I have to use Captcha, but I hope you'll comment anyway! Comments make my day! :)