Stories of life on our farm in Northwest Georgia where every day is an adventure in this beautiful spot that God has entrusted to our stewardship.

Monday, June 7, 2010

OISOBAGI Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi

What do you do with cucumbers coming out your ears besides tzatziki, gazpacho, and cucumber slices on salad?  What can you make that you don't have to eat the same day?  Try Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi, a Korean recipe from Flavors of Korea by Marc and Kim Millon.
Take 6 cucumbers (about 8 inches long)
Cut the cucumbers in half.  Stand each segment on end and cut a cross down each one almost to the base, but do not cut through.  (I took off strips of peel before I cut the cucumbers to make them more aesthetically pleasing.)
Sprinkle the cucumbers with 3 T. of salt and rub in well.  Cover and set aside for about 2 hours.  The cucumbers should be wilted, but still have a "snap" when bent.  When the cucumbers are ready, wipe off the excess salt (I rinsed them!), then pour boiling water over them in a colander.  Rinse well and immediately plunge into cold water.  (I dumped them in the other side of the sink.)
Chop 6 spring onions.  (I used 3 small, young onions from my garden plus a small bunch of chives.)
Add:
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 small Korean radish, cut into fine matchsticks (I left this out)
Add 4 T. red pepper powder and 1/2 T. sugar to garlic mixture.(I added a dribble of water to make it all stick together.)
Wipe the cucumbers dry with a paper towel and stuff the red pepper mixture into the slits in each cucumber.
I had 12 cucumber halves and enough red pepper mixture to put a generous teaspoon into each one.
Pack the stuffed cucumbers into sterile jars and cover tightly.  Place them in a cool, dark spot for at least a day.  Then transfer them to a refrigerator.  Serve well chilled.  These pickled cucumbers will last for at least a few days, but they are at their best before they get mushy!  (I put mine in a bottom cupboard right above an air conditioning vent, so they will stay nice and cool even without refrigeration.)
As if I hadn't had enough to do with cucumbers for one day, I turned the biggest one--over a pound!--into tzatziki and made Greek food for supper.  There is still another one pound giant and a good 10-incher in the fridge for gazpacho.  Too bad the tomatoes and peppers aren't ripe!  :(

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm these are so good Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but I think for us Korean food novices, I would recommend cutting the red pepper in half. And definitely be sure it's the Korean kind--not cayenne! This is hot, but cayenne is even hotter.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments so please take a minute and let me know you were here! Sorry I have to use Captcha, but I hope you'll comment anyway! Comments make my day! :)