Stories of life on our farm in Northwest Georgia where every day is an adventure in this beautiful spot that God has entrusted to our stewardship.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Full of Sound and Fury

A storm blew in this afternoon while I was home alone.  Suddenly the sky grew dark--so dark the automatic security lights came on down the road from our house.
The wind whipped up, and a mist of rain began to obscure Lookout Mountain in the distance.
Lightning flashed, thunder cracked right outside, and the wind howled like a tornado.  I was wondering if I should grab the animals and head to the storm cellar in the basement--but I was too fascinated taking pictures of the elemental fury outside my door.  Don't get me wrong--I was scared, too!  I was just slightly more spellbound than scared!
Finally even the back line of trees almost disappeared from view, and I could literally see the sheets of rain as they gusted across the hills.  Needless to say, the computer went out!  I was surprised the electricity didn't!
As fast as the storm had blown in, it headed on down the road.  The sun came out, the earth started to warm again, and mist rose everywhere.
I went out to survey the damage--several fallen limbs and some severely flattened plants in the garden.  My poor squash have no luck!
But there was beauty in the path of the storm, too, in glistening raindrops on a dill flower head.  And the peace was as impressive as the sound and fury!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me think of I Kings 19 where Elijah endured the violent wind, the earthquake, and the fire--and God was not in any of them. Then Elijah heard a still, small voice, and it was God. It just occurred to me that God was still there with Elijah during all the violence, but Elijah was so distracted by the "sound and fury" that he didn't hear Him. I'm not saying it very well, but it seems to me that God was not in the violent storms outside on the mountain BECAUSE HE WAS RIGHT THERE IN THE CAVE WITH ELIJAH!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments so please take a minute and let me know you were here! Sorry I have to use Captcha, but I hope you'll comment anyway! Comments make my day! :)