Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Nature's Harmony Farm School Business Class, part II (Sunday, July 25)
Meanwhile, I'll share my wish list with you:
1) A peacock! Always wanted one, still do!
2) A Mini-Jersey cow! I was completely inspired by the cheese-making and would love to have plenty of milk to do it with. Besides, who could resist the gorgeous, doe-like eyes of a Dante?
3) A pig! Not a whole herd to breed, just one in a wooded, acorn-filled pen near the barn with a nice, muddy wallow, so we can feed it all the wasted food and table scraps (and maybe whey from the cheese-making!) and watch it turn into bacon.
4) Some Poulet Rouge chicks! We'd already decided to do that, so it hardly counts. I can order them and the peacock from the same place, saving postage! We want to order 24, raise them here, then share the processing and chickens with Jim and Monique.
5) A turkey! Herb has heard about this one before. One is enough, for Thanksgiving.
6) Some ducks! Specifically Muscovy ducks. We found out about them at Freedom Farms: they devour flies! But I thought I better add them to the list in the interest of full disclosure! I probably won't order them till next spring, so they're young and voracious when fly season starts.
7) A pony! Or a donkey, but Herb already knows that, and it's not for me--it's for Charis! Again, full disclosure!
Really, Herb should be thankful the list only totals two new permanent animals (the peacock and the cow)! The pony would be permanent, but he's known about that ever since Charis was born! Everything else would just be temporary. Considering Nature Harmony's peacocks, dogs, dairy cows, beef cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, turkeys and ducks, with geese and rabbits on the way, my list could have been MUCH longer! Count your blessings, Herb! :)